Thursday, September 21, 2017

Finding Fit and Finding Time

I love a nap! There, I said it and I mean it. I wish someone would tell me everyday around 2:00 "Lara Lyn, go lay down and take a nap for at least an hour!" Isn't it hilarious how the thing we avoid the most as a child is the thing we miss the most as an adult. I will also admit that I do not bounce back after a restless nights sleep when my 4 year old is sick as I did in my 20's and 30's when I had my first two boys. I feel like I walk around all day wanting to break out into that sleepy cry that nothing can console just like a toddler does when they are tired.

Making time for myself is hard. I have to make myself do it. I get "mommy guilt" if I go to bed and I have not laid everything out for the next morning so that we can get out the door without any trauma. Then I will lay there awake until I make myself get up and go do it so that I can sleep. Sound familiar?

Well, if you are expecting that I have had an epiphany or that I have been imparted with some amazing wisdom to share with you, your out of luck. What I have learned is that kids will survive without a perfect mommy. I did everything you can imagine with my oldest, a little less with my middle. When Dylan came along at almost 43 my body and energy was not able to keep up with my ambition. But do you know what? Dylan is happy, he is not damaged in any way because I didn't throw the biggest birthday party of the year or that he has the oldest mom in his class at Mothers Morning Out. That sweet little boy knows he is loved and he loves his mommy.

I am steeling a quote form one this 80's teens favorite movies. "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you might miss it!" Which movie??? Yep, Ferris Bueller's Day Off!

Bottom line is, we can't be perfect for everyone else no matter how hard we try; and we won't even come close if we don't take care of ourselves first. Now, since I couldn't give you any great wisdom, I will leave you with a helpful hint.

We have all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Well I was one of those that considered my 3 cups of coffee to be breakfast. If I skip breakfast it was one less meal and set of calories to offset. Not to mention I didn't make time for myself to eat it! Well, not only was I shutting my metabolism down, I was adding fuel to that sleepy toddler cry I mentioned earlier! So here is my hint.....eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment